Today is Mercydez's 17 Month Birthday. Mmmm, how we miss you. It's amazing... even though you're spirit is no longer in your body, and you are no longer physically next to us, the tender mercies and the many miracles haven't ceased.
I remember going to one of my little brother's basketball games. It was up at the E-Center (I think) and we took our little Princess. Yes, we packed her and all of her many pieces of equipment, and off we went! It was just a few weeks before she passed away. I remember watching as a young man, who wore a jersey for the opposing team, got up during half-time to practice playing. From his movements, and from my perspective, it appeared as though this young man had Cerebral Palsy. Cheers were made for this young man every time he took a shot... every time he attempted anything, that for a "normal" person, would be easy. I had to look down at my little girl in my arms and say a silent prayer of gratitude.
Mercydez was diagnosed with severe CP.
I couldn't watch this young man continue to practice or I would have wept. Wept for gratitude, for joy, for an immense amount of love I couldn't express. That moment gave me hope for Mercy's future. A parents love, if allowed, is unconditional. I was never worried about if I would love my little girl, I was always worried if OTHERS would.
That moment gave me so much hope, though. Perhaps, one day, she would be that young person on the team. The one who never really gets to play, but is allowed the dream. Perhaps those around her would cheer for her, rather than mock her. In that moment, I was overwhelmed with love for those who chose to love another who is very different from them... this one was physically different, but equally worthy of love. This one could have been ignorantly and selfishly viewed as a "thorn in the side", but these wonderful people surrounding this young man looked outside themselves and saw that their love could change a person... and that persons love could change them.
I was, and still am, overwhelmed with gratitude for the tenderness and love shown. As a mother, I felt my heart melt. As a mother, I felt reassurace that things would be okay. Those who are closest to Heavenly Father have the ability to see past the physical hardships and differences. Those who are closest to Heavenly Father look at the heart. And because they do, they are forever changed for the better. And those they love are too.
As a mother of a "disabled" child, I thank those who so lovingly showed compassion to another.
This is what Heaven is going to be like.
Guys' Trip
5 years ago

7 comments:
I love you and your family, and I have never met you. Your princess would have been so accepted and welcomed with open arms by those who didn't know her but loved her anyways. She is an angel. She is perfect. She is there to help you be a better person so you can be worthy of her. That is an amazing blessing to think about.
I love Heavenly Fathers "special children". Some of the best people I have ever met are not considered "normal" by social views. But they are amazing and have so much to offer. I believe that your little princess was one of those special children. Such a perfect daughter of God that he couldn't be away from her too long. He knows you love her, and He knew you would miss her, but He knew you were strong enough. You are being watched over. I know it!
Ashley,
You are an amazing mother. I too hope that is what Heaven is like! What a day it will be to have our girls in our arms. I'm glad you were able to create so many memories with Mercydez.
Love, Melissa
I remember you coming home and telling me about this experience. I's sure it was, to a certain degree, very sacred. In that moment you felt something so unique...only those with hearts as big as yours and Nic's would be able to comprehend what was going on in that moment.
You will ALWAYS come across those who point and laugh, who wisper, who say or do unthinkable things. AND!!! You will ALWAYS fnd those who serve, love unconditionally, and see the beauty in the "disabled". Hang on to those people. They are much more worth your time, thoughts, and feelings than the shallow. Easier said than done..I know. Right now I'm dwelling in anger. I am doing my best to move on but it's hard. It's hard not to focus on the "ugly" people and things in this world. One day, I will be able to shrug off those who aren't worth my time. :)
Your entry is so beautiful. Just beautiful. I miss your little baby. I miss talking to her. I miss snuggling with her. I miss listening to her. I miss smelling her. I miss playing with her. And the thing that hurts just as much is to know I'm only feeling a fraction of what you and Nic are feeling. I wish I could carry some of this with you guys. Not necessarily take it from you, as I feel, that would be taking some of Mercydez. I just want to HELP carry.
Your garden is beautiful. As the vegetables, herbs, and flowers grow it will only get more beautiful. It will only represent Mercydez more. Beautiful, just beautiful.
Mmmmm...Heaven will be wonderful won't it?
How can you not just love such a treasure as Mercy? You're so lucky to have such a perfect, amazing, gifted, wise daughter forever. This waiting part royally stinks though.
Thank you for sharing that story. It really gives me hope. I see so much darkness every single day. Sometimes seeing the underbelly of our town on a regular basis makes me become hard. I lose hope in people, I assume everyone has a dark side. It is so great to hear such an uplifting story. A story of true love and acceptance. Thank you. You brought me to tears of happiness. We love you Mercy!
Ashley,
You are such a wonderful person!!! I just love to read your posts and see the postive attitude you have. You really are an inspiration to me. Thank You. Thank you for sharing your beautiful story with us.
Chrissie
Ashley, I am not sure if you remember me? We met during Kyler's 4th open heart at PCMC last April. I am so sorry to her of your daughter's passing. I am sure, though, it is wonderful to know that she surpassed the odds and stayed to be with you and Nic for as long as she could. I just want to tell you that I would read your blog and see how wonderful of parents you were. She was blessed to have you as you were her.
God Bless =)
Loves,
Nicole (kyler's mommy, HLHS)
Post a Comment