Monday, July 14, 2008

Formula Struggles & Doctor Follow-ups



(Sunday, July 13th: What a beautiful little girl)

Bless our sweet little angels heart, yesterday was a hard day for her. We are trying to find a formula that she can tolerate and it has been so difficult. Yesterday we tried a formula that has no soy in it (we are being led to believe that Mercy is allergic to soy). We mixed one part formula with three parts breast milk. Needless to say, it was WAY too much. Just moments after her feeding was complete we noticed that she was getting red splotches all over her body. They resembled hives. Then her heart rate increased dramatically, and her entire body turned bright red. Her O2 sats were MUCH too low, so we increased her oxygen significantly. Even on oxygen her sats were too low for comfort. It was scary. Nic and I were just holding and loving her, trying to help her in any way we could. We called our wonderful hospice nurse, Moira. She came over and we decided that Mercydez has an allergy to something in this formula too. So, on to the next. I'm going to try calling my doctor and ask him about Goats Milk. I've heard that goats milk is given to babies who don't tolerate formula.

It's so hard to watch Mercydez suffering from something that shouldn't cause so much irritation. It was very frightening to see her struggle so much. Part of us was so fearful that this was the moment we had been dreading. Nic gave Mercydez a beautiful blessing, which not only helped Mercydez, but helped the two of us as well. It's so hard to come upon those moments, those scary times, when you don't know what to expect. My mind was all over the place. It was hard. Up until this point it has been the really big things that have scared us. It's hard to have the little things affect her too. We'll get this formula thing resolved though. About an hour and a half after Mercydez received her blessing and after we gave Mercydez some benadryl, the rash and redness disappeared and her sats were back to normal. We were able to lower her oxygen back down to the normal rate and she's been doing well since. We've just been giving her the benadryl regularly. We won't be trying another formula for a few days, at least. We want to make sure her body is back to "normal" before we risk upsetting it again. But hopefully there will be a lead with this goats milk stuff.

(Sunday, July 13th: Mercy was too tired to care that Daddy was playing with her)


Mercydez sure was cute last night! Her hard day lead to a big dose of sleepiness! Mercy immediately fell asleep once Nic held her. She's just so darn cute! Even when she sleeps! We just can't seem to get enough of her. She truly is an angel in our lives.


(Sunday, July 13th: Our princess is so beautiful!)

We also had a follow-up appointment with our cranial-facial plastic surgeon, Dr. Siddiqi, last Thursday. Even though it was a day at the hospital, it was nice to be together as a family. Nic is such a hard worker. It was such a blessing to spend some time with him. Dr. Siddiqi felt like Mercydez is ready for her lip repair. The pallet would be done during a seperate surgery. Of course, Dr. Siddiqi wants us to see Cardiology before he will do anything. We are in the process of getting that appointment set up. Even if Cardiology gives the okay, we are uncertain if we will pursue the surgery. We are trying so hard to do only what Heavenly Father wants us to do. Our little girl is such a blessing. She's suffered through so much already. Whatever we are called upon to do, we will certainly do all we can to accomplish it!

Unfortunately, we didn't have our camera when we visited with some of our good friends! We stopped in the NICU for a brief moment to say hello to our wonderful friend, Dr. Null! It was such a joy to see him! It was a relief to give him the hug I've been wanting to give him for two and a half months now! We love Dr. Null! Even though Mercy wasn't able to really "show" her excitement in seeing Dr Null, we know she loves him! We were also able to visit with Emilee, one of the BEST nurses we've ever known, and also a wonderful friend! She's no longer in the NICU, so it took a little bit of time to track her down, but it was worth it! We love Emilee so much! She's gonna make the best mommy ever! She's going to have a little boy next month! We're so excited for her! We weren't able to visit with our other friends. Some weren't in and we also ran out of time. But, next time, we hope to visit with those we weren't able to.

7 comments:

Em said...

Mercydez looks like she is getting so big! I can not believe how the time flies. There were many people that would ask if we were going to fix Lilly's cleft. She ended up only have the bilateral cleft lip, not a cleft palate, and I would just tell people that we would see. You see, to me, I did not even notice Lilly's cleft, all I saw was this beautiful, spiritually perfect little girl. It is the same way I see Mercydez~perfect!
Heart hugs,
Emily and Mike

carolyn q said...

Oh she is so angelic and I can only imagine how scary the formula issue was. Hopefully something can be figured out very soon so she doesn't have issues and will be able to tolerate it.
What a blessing it is to have the Priesthood in your home. Nic, you are a wonderful daddy.
I agree with Emily. . .I don't see anything that isn't perfect on Mercydez. She is beautiful!!!
Heart Hugs,
Carolyn

Stephanie Ellinger said...

I left a post on the IHH website but and then I looked here. Wow - that sounds so much like what we went through. Nathan didn't break out in hives but he would scream for hours on end. This is more expensive than goates milk (which was also an option) but I do have a nutramigen AA for you to try. It is broken down to the amino acids so since the tummy doesn't have to really digest it, it gets out faster and is easier on the child. You can only get it through the home health care company, but we were told that because of the g-tube and that the formula isn't available at any store than the insurance company would pay for it. It runs about $50.00 a can. I have a can at our home, unopened, if you would like to try it with Mercydez.

Isn't it a blessing to have the priesthood in your home, especially when you almost need those blessings on a daily basis?

I think Mercydez is beautiful. She seems very peaceful and content in the pictures you've posted. That speaks volumes for the progress she is making. I met a man with a repaired cleft lip today and it wasn't until I told him about Nathan's cleft that he pointed out his. It's amazing what they can do. I have a hard time though trying to decide when is right for the repair too. These aren't easy decisions to make and sometimes it feels so overwhelming!

You're welcome to look at our blog. Its jakestephanieellinger.blogspot.com

-Stephanie (Nathan's Mom)

Heart Mommy said...

Hey is it okay to add Mercydez to the Hero's list... There is already another little one with Charge sydrome..Alice... Let me know if it is a problem... Brynn

Bill & Jen said...

I'm sure Mercydez loves snuggles with her daddy...(she looks so much like him.)Oh goodness, isn't the Preisthood a wonderful blessing. Hopefully the formula thing will get "fixed" soon. I LOVE her bow headbands...where do you get them?

Lindsey Whiting said...

Merceydez is just so beautiful! I love all the pictures and wow, she has so much hair. I think she has more than my 10 month old. You and Nic are so impressive to us, you guys have so much strength, and I know prayers have helped, but wow you guys do so much. You guys are truly a beautiful family, a perfect child sent to perfect parents. -love lindy

Unknown said...

Hi there, stumbled across your blog from a CHARGE syndrome alert I have set on Google. Your daughter is just precious - my little girl Kennedy, is 10 years old and has CHARGE. We went through many different formula issues as well. The one that ended up working the best for her was one that was already partially broken down and very easy for her to digest. It was very expensive but it was covered through a government program (I'm in Canada). The name of it was Vivonex Pediatric. It comes in a powder form and you mix it with water. Prior to that, another formula that worked quite good for her was called "Alimentum" - also another formula that is partially broken down and easy to digest.
Good luck finding a formula that works for Mercydez, it's so stressful when they aren't getting adequate nutrition because they cannot tolerate the formula. I remember those early days so well. Take care!

Lisa & Kennedy
http://www.chargesyndrome.info
http://chargesyndrome.blogspot.com