Sunday, November 2, 2008

Benefit Concert for Little Miss

American Fork Junior High School has had a tradition, since the terrorist attacks on 9/11, of doing an annual benefit concert. My ever-so-thoughtful cousin, Skyler, nominated Mercydez to be the beneficiary of this concert. He wrote a paper on her, presented it to his fellow students, and Mercydez received the most votes. To say the least, we have been greatly touched. The concert took place on the evening of October 22nd. Nic and I had the great honor of being able to attend. We weren't sure if we'd be able to because of Mercy's fragile condition, but she was stable enough that we could leave her with some family while the rest of our family attended. The concert was absolutely beautiful. The Choir Teacher/Director did a fabulous job. The music was stunning and truly touched my heart. The ending number was "One Small Voice" and it was accompanied by a slide show of Mercydez. Of course, I cried and cried and cried. I even cried before the number started! I just love my little girl! After the number was over, Nic and I stood and offered our thanks. I think I just rambled, but I was so overwhelmed with gratitude. I hope the audience and the students heard our "thanks" through my sobbing. :) It was such a wonderful experience. I have learned the goodness of strangers. I have learned to put aside general prejudices. I have learned that mankind truly is good, if we just allow ourselves to be.

Thank you so much AFJH Choirs. I can't thank you enough for loving and caring for such a sweet little girl. She has changed my life, and I hope through knowing her, even just a little, that she has touched your heart. Thank you for accepting her. Thank you! Thank you!

PS We took our camera to take some pictures but the program specifically asked that we not take pictures because the flash is distracting. :( From years of being involved with choirs and performing, I totally understand. It's just a bummer that we couldn't get any picture for journaling.

No comments: