Sunday, August 31, 2008

Cell Phone Soap Box


I have a few things that I am very passionate about. By passionate, I mean opinionated. I love my cell phone. I'm sure you love your cell phone. If I ever leave my cell phone at home by accident and I'm running an errand (even if it consists of simply running to redbox to return a DVD), I feel as though I failed to put anything on and I'm completely naked. Cell phones have become the unnecessary necessity. There is nothing better than knowing that if you get a flat tire, your husband is just a phone call away. If your child's g-tube falls out, the sitter only need call your cell phone to find relief. If you can't find your shopping buddy, they are just a phone call away. If you are all alone, driving down the road and feel like you need a goodly conversation, simply pick up your cell phone. Right? Well, despite all the great points of owning a cell phone, I have a few issues. Let me share...


In purchasing a phone plan and in owning a cell phone I still have the right to CHOOSE to answer my phone when it's ringing. Granted, cell phones are for convenience and it may be inconvenient for the caller if I choose to not answer. I am sorry if you have been one of those callers who upon no answer takes my name in vain. With my appology though, I will own up to the fact that I will continue to make choices as to when and when not to answer my phone and the reasons for not answering are my own. I don't have to justify anything. My justification is that I choose to not answer. That's it.


My next irritation falls with text messaging. I absolutely LOVE texting. I think it's a great idea. However, with pros come cons. I get so irritated, and slightly enraged, when driving down the street (yes, in motion) and I glance to the side only to find some crazy person thinking they can text and drive at the same time. If you are one of those people... KNOCK IT OFF! I'm glad you have such great confidence in yourself. I don't have that kind of confidence in ANYONE. It's hard enough for most people to drive with another person actually sitting in the car with them (have you ever had the experience where you are talking or laughing and you fail to get off your exit?). Who in the world thinks they are genius enough to drive and TYPE at the same time? Urg.


So, to keep my irritations to a minimum, I think I better stop saying the same thing in various and sundry ways. Just know that I claim the right to answer my phone whenever I want to... and, if I see someone driving down the street while texting... you might get a quick reality check to prove you can't do these two seemingly important tasks at the same time... (try texting while you're being pulled over! Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha (six "ha's" in texting lingo means I'm laughing my head off)).

3 comments:

Em said...

Just wanted to let you know that Gracie is currently extubated. We posted but removed it because my sister-in-law does not want it posted yet. So thank-you for the many prayers and support-you guys are awesome! Can not wait to see you guys this Saturday!
Heart hugs,
Emily
P.S. I HATE when people text while driving-it is very foolish!

Brandon and Natalie said...

Out here in Memphis they drive (speeding), text and smoke all at the same time. The roads are crazy out here.

Pinky Homer said...

So, my cell phone just died so I have something to say on the subject ... Have you ever wonder why the phone actually stops working about 6 mos. before the plan expires & your free phone upgrade? Dang those phone companies! I was lucky, my sister just got a new phone so I inherited hers ... until my free upgrade!!! Like you I feel so lost without it.