SWIMMING!
Friday, 8 August, 2008: Lindsay takin' a swim.
HAWS OLYMPICS!
Friday, 8 August, 2008: Mercy chillin' with her sweet glasses!
Friday, 8 August, 2008: Mandy explaining to the cousins how to play the olympic games.
Friday, 8 August, 2008: Mandy and Natalie look so hot with nylons on their heads!
Friday, 8 August, 2008: Lindsay and Sam lookin' oh-so-trendy for the Olympics!
Friday, 8 August, 2008: Wheelbarrow racing was awesome! Nic and I took first place! Wahoo!
Friday, 8 August, 2008: The kids had a foot race! It was soooo exciting!
Friday, 8 August, 2008: Yeah, that's right.
Friday, 8 August, 2008: Wheelbarrow racing gone wrong. Sam, it's okay. You know I'm better than you. ;)
PRIMARY CHILDREN'S ER...
Wow! Our family reunion was a BLAST! I'm posting a few more pictures of all 'o us havin' some good times. It was much needed time away from everything. It was a good thing Nic had time off, because our get-away went from absolutely perfect to a complete nightmare all within 24 hours.Mercydez didn't sleep a wink on Thursday night, which means, either did I. I'm not one of those weird ones who can live off of zero hours of sleep. My idea of a good nights rest lies somewhere between, oh, eight to ten hours. Of course, since having Mercydez, my idea of a good nights rest has changed to four hours of uninterrupted sleep. Anyway, so both Mercy and I were on edge all day Friday. It was great to be with our family, but talk about exhaustion! I felt like something wasn't right with my princess, but I didn't think anything was terrifyingly bad. Little did I know...
Mercydez was extremely irritable all day Friday. She didn't like to eat, she didn't like to be held. She didn't like to lay in bed, she didn't like to snuggle (which is completely opposite of everything Mercy holds dear. She would rather snuggle then eat... seriously). Friday night, about 8:00pm I just felt like something wasn't right and we needed to figure it out. I had been holding her for about an hours time, so I didn't think her warm body was anything out of the ordinary. I thought I had just transfered heat. Well, we took her temp and she was at 102 degrees!!! We tried calling our doctor... and we tried calling our friend, Dr. Null. When we were able to get in touch with someone we were instructed to get Mercydez to an instacare ASAP. So, Nic, Zac (Nic's brother), and Drew (Nic's daddy) came with us. We saw a doctor at the childrens instacare at Altaview Hospital. The nurse took a rectal temp and Mercy was at 104 degrees! The doctor told us to get her to Primary Childrens ER as quickly as possible. This was hard for us to hear because neither Nic or I love Primary's. It was very difficult to hear from the instacare doc that Mercydez would definitely be admitted to PCMC. On our way out, Nic, Dad, and Zac gave Mercy a blessing. It was beautiful. It was powerful. Nic and I then took Mercydez to the ER. The doctor in the ER was rediculously arrogant. I wanted to throw something at her. She wouldn't hear us, and when she stopped for a moment to consider anything we said, she looked at us like we were moron parents. Urg. It was so frustrating. Our fabulous nurse, Moira, came up to be with us. Thank goodness she was there. She was a great support to us. We were very insistant that Mercydez not be admitted. We have made some very personal, difficult, and sacred decisions in regard to hospitals and procedures. We were okay with a blood draw, a UA, and a chest x-ray, but nothing else. Anyway, to make a long story short, we finally left the emergency room after nearly six and a half hours (by the way, NEVER expect an ER visit to be short) at about 5:45am. We went back to Snowbird, slept for about two hours, got ready and left for home. Mercydez is now home, on IV antibiotics to treat pneumonia, and actually doing very well. The lab results came back and lead us to believe that, yes, Mercydez is sick, but not NEARLY as sick as the ER doctor described. Sometimes Mom and Dad know best. I'm glad that night of true hell is over.
Unfortunately, I came down with something myself. I think the stress behind everything did me in. My beautiful Grandmother had an honorary birthday party on Saturday night that we couldn't attend because both Mercy and I were sick. I am so sad that we missed it. My Grandmother is one of the most influential women I know. She is absolutely amazing to me. She has taught me that standing up for what is right is never (EVER) easy and often very lonely, but it is soooo worth it. I'm going to post a poem I wrote for her birthday, but not until I'm able to give it to her in person. I want her to read it first. Anyone who has met my sweet Grandmother knows she is an angel. She is so strong. She has helped me through months and months of heartache, sorrow, happiness, fears, etc. She stayed with me at my Uncle Verl and Aunt Marilyn's place for about a month after Mercydez was born. Oh, how I love my Grandmother. We have talked and decided that we will be next door neighbors in heaven.
Needless to say, it has been a very hard and busy weekend. Things are finally starting to settle down, but slowly. I feel like I should have my RN by now. Nic is getting some good nursing experience too. We love our little girl more than anything. She is such a treasure. We would do anything to secure her happiness... even if it means going against a doctors demands. Heavenly Father talks to parents. He leads them. I have learned for myself that the correct answers lie not in medical books full of statistics and definitions. Correct answers lie in having faith, in truly listening to Heavenly Father. Knowing the correct answers doesn't make decisions any easier, in fact, with my experience it has made decisions harder. But there is such peace in succombing to what is RIGHT verses what is EASY. I love a quote that my good friend (and fabulous hair dresser) has on her wall. I might butcher it... but I'm sure you've heard it. "The time is coming when you will have to choose between what is easy or what is right." So true.
Saturday, 9 August, 2008: After a loooooooong night in the ER, Daddy and Mercy earned some good snuggle time.
Saturday, 9 August, 2008: After a loooooooong night in the ER, Daddy and Mercy earned some good snuggle time.

8 comments:
Both of you are such an inspiration of faith and heavenly strength. I'm glad Mercydez is doing better and that you stuck with what you believe is right...I totally believe that parents DO know best and you and only you know what can help your baby with guidance from Heavenly Father. Thank your for your stalwart example.
You guys are amazingly strong and courageous. Every time I read your blog I am truly inspired by your faith. You two are amazing! Mercydez is truly blessed to have you has parents! You guys take care of yourselves and get feeling better soon! P.S. Your Olympic pictures are so cute! What a great family idea!
Yes, Yes. . I agree, Parents know much better than doctors on what their own child's needs are. Oh. . I am sorry you ended up in the ER because I am not a fan in dealing with those doctors. I do hope that Mercydez is on the mend. Your family continues to be in my prayers.
Ashley and Nic
Every time I read an update about your beautiful Mercy, I am moved to tears. You are all so loving and tender hearted. I believe with all my heart you have always done what is best for her. Your nurse Moira (sp?) sounds like the best. What a blessing having her in your lives. I can not even begin to imagine what you go through on a daily basis. I am humbled by your expierences. Please let us know if there is anything we can do. We love you guys to pieces!
Asley and Nic,
Whenever I read a posting from you guys I am moved to tears. You have the most tender hearts when talking about your beautiful Mercy. I can not even begin to imagine the daily struggles you must have. Emotionally and physically. Your nurse Moira sounds like such a fantastic person. It is such a blessing having her in your lives. Please let us know if there is anything we can EVER do. You have always done what is right for Mercydez. Just know that we see how much you love her. We love and respect you guys so much! Love, Stacy, Chance, and Baby C
I am so sorry that you ended up in the ER. It's not a fun place to be, I'm also glad that you didn't let them admit Mercydez and were able to take her home and take care of her yourselves. What a blessing you are to her and she to you! I still have that formula if you're interested, sorry I didn't contact you sooner. Things can get crazy as you well know! Call me at 687-5906 and we can arrange a time.
Hugs,
Hollie (and Elaina!)
Wow, what a complete circle. It is hard for those in the medical field to understand God's plan for us. They have their own plan, and what feel a God complex, and they just do not get it sometimes. You and Nic know EXACTLY what is best for Mercydez. I pray things will continue to mend.
Heart hugs and prayers,
Emily and Mike Gourley
Family Olympics-totally a good idea and looks like tons of fun! ER-people can be so stupid! And I'm so very glad that the two of you know your baby and are guided by a greater power than med school. I hope the two of you start feeling better soon and start getting more sleep!
Post a Comment